Sep 24, 2009

Urs's greatest Adventure!

Urs is my old friend that I know over 10 years. he was one of the windsurfer who was always at Hookipa hanging out every day, and so were we so we see each other all the time and eventually start talking to each other.

He noticed that he had seen me in Mt Hood in the summer where I was working in a snowboard camp and he was working as a ski coach for Canadia National team.
As we get to know each other we found more and more mutural friends and interests.
He got job and Weglie's heli as a Heli ski guide and eventually worked for one of my friends heli operation in Alaska.
He also loves traveling so we always talk about where to go.

Anyways, I found some very exotic looking shots of waves in his facebook post. I didn't know he was away this summer but those waves looked perfect and noone was on it. it looked very deserted. i knew he wasn't going to reveal the name of the place to many people but I really wanted to know where. I had a fairly good idea whereabouts but I wanted to hear all about it so I invitred him for dinner .

When hebroke up with his girlfriend, he was trying to figure out where to go, somehow he found place in south pacific, this atool has no flights to get there but he found some contacts and found out he could get there by getting on a freight ship from Honolulu. he showed me the picture of the boat, it is pretty old and shaky looking, not that big but he told me all kinds of characters who were on board and the 8days of traveling with them.
the place he told me is the place this guys who I met in marshall told me to go. this japanese guy was in 70's but very sharp and lively guy who has spent most of his life working in between south pacific and Japan and doing all kinds of work . he knew so many history and cultures of those very exotic places. He said if I wanted to travel beautiful exotic place with nice people, this atoll is the place.

Urs admited that he had never even heard of this place before, but somehow everything was going his way and he managed to get there and stayed for 3 months. very simple, primitive lifestyle, some days food was even hard to come by, but sounded like it was trip of a life time. it is so hard to find a place to surf where noone is around or noone knows about it, it takes such effort to look for those places and often lots of money and time.
So I know how special this trip must have been to him.
I am super envious but very stoked for him.

He sounded like he was sold on finding more places like this place, who know where he will go next but I have to stay in touch with him for sure so I would know those secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment