Apr 8, 2010

Sophie and Didier

Our host for this Marshall boat trip is this French couple Didier and Sophie, I met them a year ago in Marshall and as soon as I saw Sophie, we both knew we had so much in common. I heard about them in Majuro and I was paddling around the anchoring yachts to look for their yacht.
We finally met after hearing about each other from many people ( Majuro is a very small town and if something new happens everyone knows about it).
Anyway we talked about all the travels , their life was fascinating. They both worked in boats, and sailing since they are in teens and decided to own their own boat and do charters, they are specialized in very remote places ( many that you cannot get to by planes) and rough seas like Antarctica , Alaska, Patagonia.
I was telling them my dream is to go to Aleusian Islands and they were like " Oh, that is where we are heading after here, you want to come along?"
I wish! but sailing in the rough sea all the way to Aleusian for 3 weeks or so , I didin't think I was capable of. I am not that tough.
But we kept in touch as often as we could and I could follow their travels, Aleusian, Kodiak, Chile, Easter island. Tahiti, Tuamotu, Kiribatu, Tonga, Ahh... all my dream places.
Then they e-mailed me that they have opening to have me in Marshall again.( Didier coming back with some fish as Sophie grading coconuts to make some maccaroons)
There was no way I was gonna pass this oppotunity. With their yacht , we could explore different atolls, new spots, and have it all to ourselves.
I cannot thank them enough for the experience and hospitality. I learned so much while I was on the boat with them. People may think living on a boat is relaxing and kicking back , you play and eat and life is slow pace. No, they work so hard and there is always something to work on. and when something goes wrong, there is no repair guy , store to buy parts, or lifeguards to save you, you are on your own. They are the toughest people I know and they dont even act that way. But I know they can be calm in a very serious situation or even crack some joke about it, and that is real toughness. Knowing that I am in their hands really made me feel safe.Sophie was a burst of energy and always find somer fun things to do, most of the time hard excercise. She paddles against the strong wind just for fun. and even when boat is rocking and I can barely stand still. she uses that to make it more challenging for her to do aerobics . She was a amazing chef and I got some great recipes from her using coconuts and sea food. Didier's cute sence of humor and knowledge of the ocean was facinating that I could never get tired of listening to his stories.
They are very special people and I often think of them. Just knowing they are somewhere so far away from everyone and living simply and dealing with raw power of nature in daily basis, makes me feel good. At least someone is doing it.

This trip was amazing not only because if the beautiful islands and great waves but also and more so because of Sophie and Didier. it sure was inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment