Aug 27, 2009

Andrew's big adventure

Andrew has always wanted get the taste of wave riding and go out from Lanes where it is hard to launch and get out ( because you have to walk across the dry slippery reef)
Lanes attract only a handful of peopke because of that, but that didn't seem to bother Andrew who loves excitement in any form.

He took long time to get ready, and looked pretty nervous, it didn't help that Yasushi, who was supposed to show him how it's done , struggle on a reef. It probably made him more nervous. he smoked one more cigarette before he decided to put the harness on.
he pumped up his new 9m kite, did everything he was supposed to do and made it out smoothly!

He was cautious and trying to learn how to do toe side riding. He was doing very good for a long time. After an hour or so, we were still around Outside Paia, I wanted to go down faster to get to Kite beach , but it seemed like he was either taking time and enjoying it or not knowing how to go downwind very well.
I noticed that his kite was looking a little soft so I wanted to get down sooner and trying to go further downwind hoping that he would get an idea.
When I looked up to look for his kite, his kite was down and he was having hard time getting it up.
I rushed back upwind and sure enough the kite was losing air and he had a bit of a panic look ( we were pretty far out from the shore)
I told him he has to do self-rescue and make it down the beach close by , meanwhile he was outside Balwin where it's shallow and waves break on the reef. he let both his kite and board go when the little white water came and got him, and I had to figure out quickly what to do, I dragged him to the kite and told him to hold both tip of the kite and then looked for his board.
he was struggling to make the kite to create the right form to swim in , I thought he knew how but he only knew what it looks like but never actually had done it .
he looked at me desparately and asked " Will you pull me in?"
my answer was " Hell NO!" ( Be a man, dumbass! you deal with your problem, was more like what I said)
He gave up on the idea that I may drag him in and started getting serious about holding his kite and make it as sail so wind can push him in.
I was kiting with his board attached behind me like walking the dog on the ocean and going back and force to make sure he can go in safely and also to keep yelling him to get his act together and work harder otherwise he would end up on the rocky shore.

Finally he made it in at Baby beach.
I made sure he was close enough and kited down to the kitebeach.
By then, Yasushi, Kaoru, and Scott were on rescue mission driving around to look for him.

In the end, Everyone was Ok, and Andrew got what he wanted , getting his ass kicked and humbled. And we all got another story that we can laugh about for a while.
Thanks to Yasushi and Kaoru for all the help and Scott for driving around and wait for us all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment