Nov 3, 2009

MAUI NO KAOI!

I was planning to stay in Baja till mid Nov, but the forecast od Maui was looking sick, big north swell for more than a week with good wind, I started feeling anxious , then I found out one of the guys who was staying at the beach was leaving and heading North.”IfI get a ride with him, I can make it back to Maui in time for this swell" I thought about it for couple days and last minute, the day before he was leaving、I decide to go back to Maui and hop on his van.
So I made it back on 29th at night , as I drove back to Haiku, I could see the thick white lines at Hookipa, indicating the waves are up.
I couldn't wake up early enough to catch early Standuo session at Kanaha the next morning. but was ready to go right at 11am at Lanes.
it was great condition and the condition got better and better every day.There was a day that waves were pretty big and most people didn't go out, the wind was gusty and offshore, too. I felt very much of a chicken that day but going out on that day made me feel more confident and relaxed on other days when the wind was steadier and waves smaller.

Waves continued and we received swell after swell for 8 -9 consecutive days. well in fact, the waves are still here , just a bit smaller.Maui is known for waves and wind but even this place don't get this good for this long very often. this is very special and rare. It sure was worth it for me to come back in time and this week really made me reconfirm that Maui sure is NOKAOI!

No comments:

Post a Comment