Jun 5, 2009

Downwind Paddling Season !

Finally it feels like summer, it felt like we never even had a winter, not much big waves and too much rain, and then we had no wind in spring and fairly good waves . all through the winter and spring it was very cold.
But finally it is getting hot , tradewind is finally back, and no waves on the northshore. yep that s summer on Maui.

I used to be bored with these conditions but this is perfect for downwinder ! I got together with Devin ( my mentor in downwinder!) and Scott. and paddled out from Maliko.
it was windy so super fun but oh boy was I out of shape, I fell in the water more than 10 times! I gotta get back in shape.
I can see that everyone is getting motivated for downwind paddle these days, there were hardly much parking space in Maliko and all star sighting from dave kalama, paddle queen Andrea, big wave charger / sup instructor Maria Souza, Ekolu, etc. everyone was paddling!
I heard Motoko ( by best friend and champion windsurfer) won a sup event in Japan and really keen on training , so when she comes in a week, I have more people to ride with!

I difenately rather ride waves but what a heck, if you cannot find waves , this is the best alternate .

No comments:

Post a Comment