Jun 27, 2009

My favorite books

I think My mind gets ill before my body heals if I had to stay in bed any longer. But one good news today was when I went to the chiropractic doctor, she said it is not as bad as it has been and she only had to adjust a little and didn't make future appointment .
The bad news was she said " if you rest the same way for one more week and then start feeling the water, you should be able to slowly get back on the track"
Wow, one more week would make this healing process a WHOLE month!
Well I guess I have to realize that it could be worse and there are a lot of people who is dealing with worse situation.

I am sooooo commited to get my health back and build my strength as soon as I get string enough to train. but the hardest thing is to hold back so I won't hurt it again, it is very scary to think that there is a possibility of doing that, that scares me more than 8ft closeout sets. well close outs are pretty scary to me, too, though.

Anyways, I was given plenty of time to read all sorts of books, first I was reading easy casual stuff since it was hard to focus with the pain.
It is such a great feeling when you find a good book you love. it is like meeting a lifelong friend.

Here are some of my lifelong friends in square shapes. I am listing here only the English ones ( or the one that is available in English)They have given me limitless imaginations. dreams and passions. Real truth ( I hope) of life and people. and taste of experience without actually doing it. I've got so many words of wisdom that lead me when I was lost or delirious.
I must say my favorite is always real adventure and touch of anthropology flavor . I love good biography and history books as well.

1 Endurance
my old time favorite, Shakleton has all the quality I adore in men, adventurous, passionate and driven, tough to the bone and always have sense of humor especially when the situation gets hairy, and this whole experience they go through, I cannot imagine anything harder and tougher than that and somehow he kept spirits high amoung his men and even made acroos to the island to get help with little boat and walk across the impossible. ( the route he managed to go across wasn't accom0lished by anyone till very recent even with GPS and all the high tech gear and knowledge)

2 Surf is where you find it by Gerry Lopez
I cannot help the favortism but hey it is a great read.

3 Ordinary Wolves by Seth kantner
one of the few books that I read in English . If you love Alaska and long to be in the wilderness this is the book to read. Seth was raised in the wilderness , living in a sod igloo, and live a sustainable life ( back in 60-80's when 90 % of people didn't know what that means)
This is a fiction but painfully reveals his life and feelings with lots of sarcastic darkness with unique sense of humor. The way he describe things are so beautil and poetic and original, it takes you to the wide open tundra , or to the below 50 ice storm or in the middle of herding caribus.
not very well known book but won couple awards , much better than some of the books on Alaska.

4 Fatu Hiva by Thor Heieldar
I read this one very recently, Thor Heieldar is one of my heros who crosse the pacific from Peru to Easter island to Tahiti to prove his theory of the root of Polinesian people. that adventure is also a book called Konyiki and it has been one of my favorite since I was a child. but I found this book that is written about his experience living in a jungle around WW2, which changed his life and lead him to do that Kontiki expedition.

I guess list will never end so I will stop now...

No comments:

Post a Comment