Jun 23, 2009

Thoughts on Fathers Day


In Japan we don't really express our feelings. In fact, the hardest thing for me when I first came to USA when I was a teenager, was to express my feelings. I had such a hard time saying No ( in Japan you just say, "maybe" with the little bit of confused look and the person will understand you are not into it), so that if someone asked to go somewhere or do something, I would just do it, instead of saying No.

I have changed quite a bit since then, but still I don't think I'd ever said "I love you" to my parents, and we barely give each other a hug, if I did, they would think something is wrong or I am freaking out.
So it is almost embarassing for me to even bring out the Fathers day and show my appreciation to my father. But I really feel that I owe to my parents, especially my father's unconditional support when I was young that let me experience so many different things and bought any books I wanted as long as it was a good one.

He gave me so much energy and time for me and my friends, taking us hiking on weekends, reading me books, taking me to museums, trips, and always good to all my friends. he was very supportive of me writing any sort of things, and I used to write stories for my little brother when I was first or second grade.
I think he wanted me to be a writer.
It is funny that I am actually making living
( well, sort of) writing, even though I don't consider myself a journalist or writer.

I am not sure if I turn out to be what he was hoping me to be, most likely not. I am still causing lots of confusions and frustration to my parents but I do know that what I am has a lot to do with what my father gave me. all the imagination, experiences and chance to give anything a try.
So I would not say this in person in Japanese but in a English diary, maybe my Americanized side, I can express a little more feeling.

Thanks dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment